Email Adam at adam.guymon@myldsmail.net

Monday, August 3, 2015

Bayram is over!!

July 20, 2015

Me ne fund!!!! (finally) Ramazan is over! This week's work was pretty much just not happening because of the big end of Ramazan stuff! So one thing kinda funny for any of you that play starcraft is that we call the Muslims zerg, and there is this part of the city we aren't supposed to really work in and we call it zerg territory and that we are on creep when we are there and so there are just a lot of nerdy jokes and stuff that come along with that! :)
  So on Tuesday we went back to Nazim's house and dedicated his wife's grave! Never thought that I would be doing anything like that anytime soon! He still just was very casual about the whole thing so I think it really is just a relief for him because she was in pain for so long it's just really interesting! He was able to come to church on Sunday for the first time in a while so that was awesome to see him there! 
  Also this week I have been fixing a ton of computer problems! It feels like I'm back at work! The Hydricks have been having me do like everything for them with their computers it's pretty funny. They actually are really cool and I like talking to them. They act so young and are so quick with jokes and poking at us it's hilarious! They showed me this really cool video the week from lds.org that I would really recommend you all watch! (https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2014-04-004-scriptures-legacy?lang=eng) It was just kinda cool and helped me to see some things in the scriptures.
  A pretty major part of this week was the ending of Ramazan and they have this big party called Bayram and basically it's like thanksgiving where all the family gathers together and has a ton of food but like even bigger. Literally nothing is open for 3 days and people just don't even leave their house so ya not exactly great for missionary work. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday just pretty much nothing going on. We literally just walked around the city exploring because we couldn't do any work! It was kinda cool to finally get to really explore the city but it definitely wasn't missionary work! Something really awesome that happened though is we were walking around in zerg territory just because we never go there and we saw one of our less actives we are working with and he was just outside his house and invited us in! We ended up teaching his two sons who aren't members and it was just awesome! Hopefully we will be able to go back some time and do it again! 
  Church this week was crazy!  I had to translate for Elder Hydrick as he presided, I blessed the sacrament, conducted the music, give a talk, and guarded the door! My talk went pretty well! I gave a 15 min. talk in Albanian so I thought it was awesome. It was about giving our whole hearts to the Lord. Also guarding the door is something new that we are doing. There have been some little security things that have happened and some of the members are starting to have reason to question their safety coming to church so the Elders are taking turns during church and "greeting" anyone who comes in the door. Basically we stop them, ask who they are, if they have been before and all that stuff! It was crazy this one guy brushed passed Holm and I when we asked him questions and went to go open the door to the sacrament hall while priesthood class was in there and I kinda just leaned against the door and kept asking him questions and he just left! Kinda an interesting experience for sure!
   Anyway I feel like I'm getting worse at writing these but I hope that they still make sense! I'm still having an awesome time and I'm excited to be here! We have some really cool investigators that we will hopefully be continuing to meet with this next week! Anyway have an awesome week everyone! Love you!

This is what it looked like for three days...literally nothing was open.

We had the whole city to ourselves.

Me, guarding the door to church.



No comments:

Post a Comment